Re: ATA-TCQ Who dares/would like to try?

From: Vojtech Pavlik (vojtech@suse.cz)
Date: Sun Aug 27 2000 - 06:39:01 EST

On Sun, Aug 27, 2000 at 03:32:28AM -0700, Andre Hedrick wrote:

> There will be a future release of Tag Command Queuing for testing.
> At this point it compiles and boots, but must be invoked.
> q->plugged is different, and needs some work.
> It at least boots.....

Ok, I'm definitely interested in trying it out. What hardware is needed?
Will my IBM-DPTA-372050 be sufficient?

> Oh and this requires the rejected taskfile patch which is included.

This may be a reason to include it. Remember that it wasn't rejected
because being fundamentally wrong, but because the patch didn't solve
the problem it advertised to (security).

It makes sense, however, to include it for extended functionality
reasons.

> So if you want the newest features:
>
> Tag Command Queuing
> Acoustic Management
> 48-bit LBA (drives larger than 137GB)
> AV Streaming
> SerialATA
> Cascade w/ disconnect.
>
> You are required to use a correct data-phase rules, period.

No problem with that. Though I won't likely be using any of the features
besdes TCQ (if the drive supports it) and possibly the 48-bit LBA (when
I get me such a big drive) any soon.

> Just so you know the full taskfile will minimize the time it takes for you
> to royally root-yourself. Trust that if you have a root-issue, I do not
> want you to waste any time having to bit-bang to dork your system.
> Just override the data-phase rules (option to be include) and begin to
> self-procreate!

No problem with that. Now where's the patch?

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs