Re: SCO: "thread creation is about a thousand times faster than on native Linux"

From: yodaiken@fsmlabs.com
Date: Sun Aug 27 2000 - 05:46:55 EST

On Sat, Aug 26, 2000 at 12:58:43PM -0400, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
> This isn't really going to work. You can't just distribute the
> signals as they come in. Sometimes you must keep signals in a
> common pool, then deliver to the first thread that unblocks.

So why can't the thread leader do this work?

> > Which is why it's preferable to have a seperate pid acting soley as
> > the "thread master". That way you can refer to eiher with the same
> > API instead of needing a seperate interface each time you want to
> > be able to choose (i.e. kill vs tgkill)
>
> No, kill() must return ESRCH when sent to a task that is not the
> thread group leader.

Why? I don't think POSIX specifies this. Did I miss something?
Please also note that pthread_kill must work within the thread group
although POSIX does not require thread references to work outside
the thread group.

Also consider a non-pthreads program that does a clone. Should ps show
the two processes as a single process?