Re: Linux 2.2.17pre20 - the for Linus edition

From: Tom Leete (tleete@mountain.net)
Date: Sat Aug 26 2000 - 00:51:49 EST

Horst von Brand wrote:

> Tom Leete <tleete@mountain.net> said:
> > Alan Cox wrote:
> > > This is the version waiting Linus. Its in the queue for holy penguin pee so
> > > either it will get peed on or I will get abuse from Linus depending whether
> > > he likes it or not 8)
> [...]
>
> > > o Add /lib/modules/foo/build link as per l/k (Ted Ts'o)
>
> > This is the first 2.2.x I've built since pre13. Am I the
> > only one who got a surprise when depmod -a took 20 minutes
> > to run? There was a big spill of 'not an ELF archive'
> > messages, but I got a nice dependency tree for all the
> > kernel object files.
>
> I just
> keep the kernel + modules around, and reuse the "build" directory for the
> next version/patch/..., so whatever is under "build" is almost surely
> wrong.

Nod. I do recall the discussion which led to this. "Don't
you use my headers for anything; they will be dead in a
week." led to the notion of tight versioning of the include/
hierarchy. If I had a say I would split out implementation
details to local or private headers.

> Now if you guys have acces to infinite disk drives, please advise.

I want one too.

Sven Koch wrote:
> The trick is to update your modutils

Yes, that worked. I had 2.3.13, 2.2.15 seems to ignore
/lib/modules/build/ I also think

/etc/modules.conf:
path[build]=

should work. I have both in, and something made it work.

Tom