[BUG] Transmit-timed-outs with 2.4.0test 3c59x drivers

From: Aaron Lehmann (aaronl@vitelus.com)
Date: Thu Aug 24 2000 - 21:06:09 EST

I've been really enthusiastic about playing with 2.4.0-test*, but one
problem that I've been experiencing has been making it unusable. After
a few hours of uptime with normal workstation network activity (NFS,
FTP, web), my 3c905 network interface goes down completely. When I
switch to a virtual console, I get messages saying "NETDEV WATCHDOG:
Transmit timed out". I get about one of these messages every second.
When attempting to reboot the system, it hangs in a late stage of the
shutdown and the messages of timed-out transmits continue to spew out.
Unfortunately, I do not have the exact text of these messages as I do
not keep system logs. I would encourage anyone who knows this driver
well to try using a machine with 2.4.0-test6 or 2.4.0-test7-pre7 for a
few days with a 3c905 card (NOT 3c905b) and try to fix these errors if
they occur. If no one has the relevant hardware or time, I would be
happy to assist in debugging this, although I am unable to fix it
myself as I am not a kernel developer.

Note that the hardware does not seem to be at fault as it works
flawlessly under 2.2.12.

Thanks,
Aaron Lehmann