new tty driver won't function as login terminal

From: Robert Cheetham (rcheetham@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Aug 22 2000 - 17:27:40 EST

I have written a driver for a new 8 channel serial I/O card. It is a PCI
card and the driver is a module. It appears to work correctly except that I
can not use it to log in. I have set up an entry in inittab and the login
prompt appears. When I answer the login: prompt the password prompt NEVER
appears.

I have used dynamic major number of 254 & 253 minor 0->7, also 4 & 5, minor
128-135.

I am using kernel version 2.2.14-05 in a Red Hat 6.2 distribution. The
module is in /proc/modules, /proc/devices and it lists correctly in
/proc/tty/drivers/charron (Charron is the name of the driver).

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Robert Cheetham
please CC me at robert.cheetham@radisys.com