2.4.0-test7-pre7 ext2fs corruption and panic

From: Tigran Aivazian (tigran@veritas.com)
Date: Wed Aug 23 2000 - 01:48:23 EST

Hello,

I just had a panic like this:

load_block_bitmap: block_group >= groups_count - block_group = 131071,
groups_count = 47

What was I doing? I extracted two copies of test7-pre7 tree. Modified one
of them and then was running diff -urN to create a patch and noticed that
diff -urN complains about lots of "binary" files which I knew were not
binary but source, like smp.c and smpboot.c. So I looked at the files and
realized that ext2fs is corrupted (it happened before (last week) as
well). Then, while diff -urN was still running, it panic'd. It was very
kind of klogd to send the message to the xterm I was in, otherwise we
would be none the wiser...

Oh, btw, X got corruped screen also, showing the klogd message.

Regards,
Tigran