Re: Binary files in the kernel sources?

From: Matthias Andree (matthias.andree@gmx.de)
Date: Tue Aug 22 2000 - 04:19:14 EST

On Mon, 21 Aug 2000, Mike A. Harris wrote:

> The real reason to convert it to a .png, is simply to boycott gif
> images entirely, which I totally agree with. IMHO, PNG should be
> the standard format for open source, used in place of .gif
> everywhere. I believe GNU advocates png usage and boycotts gif..

Not really, they use JPG for browser compatibility. This is no good for
line drawings however since you will get visible noise for "sharp"
pictures like screenshots and comic strips and whatever similar. You can
circumvent this, but then, JPG will not compress *that* good.

> My guess is the only reason for logo.gif is that nobody has
> bothered to notice it or care. Anyone care to convert it and
> submit a png? Sending a diff of a png wouldn't be a good idea I
> don't think. ;O)

web2png and gif2png work.

--
Matthias Andree