Re: Kernel profiling patch for PPC architecture now available

From: Graham Stoney (greyham@research.canon.com.au)
Date: Mon Aug 21 2000 - 20:18:43 EST

Graham Stoney writes:
> /proc/profile support for ppc & arm in 2.2 Updated: 16 August 2000
> ------------------------------------------ -----------------------
>
> The following patch adds /proc/profile kernel profiling support in the Linux
> 2.2 series kernel to those architectures that currently lack it. Previously,
> ppc and arm had fallen through the cracks and didn't support this, so the info
> in /proc/profile was always zeros.

Russell King replied:
> Unfortunately, Alan hasn't been taking the ARM patches for 2.2 kernels since
> he picked them up. Consequently, ARM in 2.2 is far far out of date, and its
> probably less hastle to just let it be in its current state.

I thought it looked a bit broken, but I stuck the call in there anyway since
it was obviously missing. One of the other things my patch does is move all
the functionally identical inlined do_profile functions out of the
architecture-specific directories and into linux/sched.h, where the other
prof stuff is. It would be nice to get this into the official kernel to
prevent the problem recurring.

> ARM in at least 2.2.14 and up has profile support.

I assume you mean the ARM-specific version rather than Alan's kernel here?

Regards,
Graham

--
Graham Stoney