Re: 2.4.x SMP scalability question.

From: Ralf Baechle (ralf@uni-koblenz.de)
Date: Sun Aug 20 2000 - 14:53:15 EST

On Fri, Aug 18, 2000 at 05:11:13PM -0400, Mike A. Harris wrote:

> With the 2.4 kernel nearing release, what is the perceived level
> of scalability that can usefully be achieved now? How many
> processors until you max out performance? If it varies from
> architecture to architecture, please indicate the differences.
>
> Please feel free to point me to URL's discussing this. I'm in a
> SMP scalability discussion of sorts, and people believe Linux
> can't usefully go past 4 processors. I figured that was true for
> 2.2.x but believe 2.4.x scales much further and just want to
> share the facts - whatever they may be - with people.

We ran AIM benchmarks on an 32 processor Origin 2000. The results as
expected differ wildly between compute bound benchmarks which as expected
for a ccNUMA machine scale perfectly and OS intensive workloads such as
the AIM SHM benchmark. So in other words without knowing your particular
load pattern an anwer can't be given.

  Ralf