Re: NTFS-like streams?

From: Jeff V. Merkey (jmerkey@timpanogas.com)
Date: Mon Aug 14 2000 - 23:57:11 EST

Alexander Viro wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Aug 2000, Mo McKinlay wrote:
>

> > # I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that any solution which does *not*
> > # allow an opendir() on it is just terminally broken.
> >
> > No no no!
> >
> > Directories can have streams as well as files.
>
> So how the fuck does one access the streams on NTFS root? On NT, that is.
> And how, BTW, are hardlinks implemented if the description of MFT entry
> given upthread was correct (it included "name" field)?
>
> What kind of tasteless <censored> designed that bloody filesystem?

David Goebel and friends designed it, and it was architected for Windows
from the very beginning. Attributes are simply chained elements of a
file, and any file can have them in NTFS. The repair tool I send folks
will dump these on-disk structures and illustrate how this is
implemeneted in NTFS.

Jeff