Re: NTFS-like streams?

From: Bill Huey (billh@gnuppy.monkey.org)
Date: Mon Aug 14 2000 - 16:49:37 EST

On Mon, Aug 14, 2000 at 02:42:20PM -0500, Jesse Pollard wrote:

> The following skeleton file system layout is a way to implement it:
>
> Each EA would point to a file metadata tree the same as the default pointer.
> This would allow the file + EA to be as large as necessary.

In the BeOSfs, modification/creation times are EAs that are stored into a global
database that indexes all the EAs. (as I understand it). All the EAs are searched
and modified from this global database hidden within the FS.

So thinking about EAs with per file data structure isn't necessarily representative
of this FS or possibly others, since it's thrown into a B-[*,+,...] tree.

> If nothing else, this may generate a LOT of additional discussion
>
> Jesse I Pollard, II
> Email: pollard@navo.hpc.mil

bill