Re: Definitions

From: Horst von Brand (vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl)
Date: Sun Aug 13 2000 - 22:59:17 EST

Chris Mason <mason@suse.com> said:

[...]

> The current journal code limits the number of async transactions to 5, so
> any given user should not be able to pin more than ~20MB of ram per FS
> (each transaction is a max of 1024, 4k blocks). The admin can change
> this by setting JOURNAL_NUM_BITMAPS to any number >= 2 (controls the
> number of async transactions), and changing JOURNAL_MAX_BATCH to any
> number larger than 256 (one way to control max blocks per transaction, it
> could be set smaller, but that would be slow).

Great! So the Evil Bastard can only eat up 60Mb of RAM (/tmp, /var, /home
have pieces that are writable to a user). He just needs a buddy to kill
this machine (128Mb RAM) very much dead then. Now I can sleep well. Or
perhaps have half a dozen users doing nothing in particular, and the
machine is OOM.

20Mb RAM for a filesystem per user is _ridiculous_, AFAIAC. Most users
around here have much less for a quota!

--
Horst von Brand                             vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl
Casilla 9G, Vin~a del Mar, Chile                               +56 32 672616