Re: NTFS-like streams?

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Sat Aug 12 2000 - 19:20:09 EST

On Sun, 13 Aug 2000, Andi Kleen wrote:

> There currently is a slight name space collision "(deleted)" is a valid
> filename, but you could change it to //deleted/mount/inode or some such
> to avoid that.

I'd much rather just have a very simple rule: if it doesn't start with a
slash, then it's not a "real" path.

And move "(deleted)" to the front of the name rather than the end.

(Note that the "doesn't start with a slash" rule is for more things than
deleted files: it's pipes, sockets, whatever. So that one is independent
of how we do deleted).

I dislike the "//" syntax a lot. It has potential special semantics in
POSIX, and it _is_ a valid root-based filename even without those
semantics. And some day we may take advantage of the POSIX-blessed "//"
syntax extensions.

In contrast, if you get a path that doesn't start with a '/', then you
know a priori that it cannot be a full pathname. It could obviously be a
relative one, but for something that is supposed to return the full
path that isn't an issue, so there is no possibility for confusion.

                Linus