Re: NTFS-like streams?

From: Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Date: Sat Aug 12 2000 - 16:18:13 EST

On 12 Aug 2000, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Suggestions welcome. What's your interface of choice for a filesystem
> like HFS that _does_ have resource forks? Whether you like them or not
> is completely immaterial - they exist.
>
> And usability concerns _are_ real concerns. I'm claiming that the best
> interface for such a filesystem would be
>
> open("file", O_RDONLY) - opens the default fork
> open("file/Icon", O_RDONLY) - opens the Icon fork
> open("file/Creator"...
>
> readdir("file") - lists the resources that the file has
>
> and I'm also claiming that the Linux VFS layer actually shouldn't have
> any fundamental problems with something like this.

        Shouldn't or doesn't? I can tell you what the current problems
_are_.
        a) in a _lot_ of places we are required to distinguish between
directories and non-directories and yes, a lot of things in userland
depend on that.
        b) unlink() on such beasts. Welcome to fun. And no, it's not
rmdir() - here we are removing non-empty object.
        c) rename() of normal file to such animal and vice versa.
        d) rename() of directory <<--->>
        e) propagation of chmod() results
        f) _if_ we do unlink() - what should happen with
delete-upon-the-last-iput() semantics?

That's more or less it. Oh, and have fun with link(2) if some filesystems
that have forks support it. If you've got a way to handle multiple links
to object that has children - I'll be glad to hear it.

Care to give semantics for operations in the list above?