Re: NTFS-like streams?

From: John Franklin (franklin@interlan.net)
Date: Fri Aug 11 2000 - 16:34:24 EST

On Fri, Aug 11, 2000 at 11:07:48PM +0200, Urban Widmark wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Aug 2000, John Franklin wrote:
> I'm sure it is very useful to some people, at the very least for accessing
> this hidden info on files from other systems. That is why I asked the
> question below.
>
> (I guess since I use window managers that don't put icons or positions on
> files I still fail to see the win :)

Chicken and egg, really. There's no support for streams currently, so
nothing uses them. (I don't think KDE currently supports what I
described; it was just an example.) Since nothing is using it, there's
no big push to develop it.

Once it's in place, I would expect people to start to explore and exploit
the possibilities, like having one executable "file" that has different
streams for different chips/platforms, and the loader chooses which one
it uses, or an executable with localization streams for different
languages, or both.

Move from there to "standard streams" like a stream that lists the
home page for the file, be it a program or a copy of the latest
hot-summer-movie-trailer, that any (supporting) browser can find and
jump to.

Applications can use it to store extra data of their own. Apache might
write hit statistics to a stream on the file, so when you move the file
from server A to server B, you keep the statistics automatically. If
it's further in a standard format you could move the file from IIS to
Apache and still keep the statistics.

> > > If you look at such a file exported with SMB what does the client see?
> > > Can you do "echo hello > //server/share/x:y" ?
> >
> > Not yet. I'm sure the SAMBA team will eventually put it in, tho.
>
> I wasn't talking about samba, I meant a server on something that does
> NTFS, like NT4/5 (eh, win2k). If it does then that means that smbfs should
> probably support this. Just like I think the Linux NTFS driver should.

IIRC, it depends on the versions/service pack level, but it does work
on some Windows-to-Windows systems. W2k->W2k I'm pretty sure works,
but I haven't tested it myself. The rest of the time it quietly
strips off the streams.

> Btw, what happens in NT when you copy such a file from NTFS to say FAT?
> (I would check all this myself but I don't have a working NT box around)

Again, IIRC, the streams are stripped off when you copy from NTFS to FAT.

I do most of my work in BSD and/or Linux environments. It's been
a while since I worked much with WinXX. When I interviewed
for my current job they mentioned my past NT experience and I told them
I'd rather gnaw my own hands off than develop under NT again.

jf

--
John Franklin
Interlan Communications