Re: NTFS-like streams?

From: Jeff V. Merkey (jmerkey@timpanogas.com)
Date: Fri Aug 11 2000 - 17:53:30 EST

Alexander Viro wrote:

> Linux is UNIX. Extending it may be OK, but ruining the stuff that already
> works (and works _well_) in exchange for, pardon me, No Taste, erm, New
> Technology... No Thanks.

Actually, NT was derived from an internal code named project called
"Windows N-10 (n-ten)" back in the days when Gates was trying to build
MIPS workstations and a version of Windows to run on it in ca.
1989/1990.

> If NT programmers' code requires things that are incompatible with the
> requirements of UNIX programs - well, you know where to find NT if you
> need it.

I will implement as an ioctl() into the FS -- they will ned to change
some code organization, but that's just life, I guess....

> Either propose the semantics compatible with the normal UNIX one or show
> that you can and will patch the userland so that it would keep working. In
> _all_ cases. Again, if it boils down to the choice between the normal UNIX
> scripting and k3wlNT3D1T0R - sorry, the former wins. Unconditionally.

I agree we cannot break existing functionality. period ....

:-)

Jeff