Re: How to start to develop a filesystem ?

From: tdanis@canal-plus.fr
Date: Fri Aug 11 2000 - 12:27:23 EST

On Fri, Aug 11, 2000 at 05:45:02PM +0100, tigran@veritas.com wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Aug 2000, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> > I would disagree. ext2 is not large!
> >
> > ext2: 4873 total
> > minix: 3065 total
>
> minix is actually two filesystems - V2 and V1. As for ext2 it may not be
> large in comparison to some others but it is still quite
> complicated. But yes, if something looks wrong or broken in some other
> filesystem one goes back to ext2 to use it as a perfect, known to be
> ideal, example.
>
> Regards,
> Tigran

        That's what we did originally, but lacking a reasonable (good/any ?)
        understanding of the internal architecture of the kernel regarding
        the filesystems organisation and the VFS layer (page/buffer caching)
        we got somewhat lost in ext2. Maybe going through Minix first wil
        help understanding ext2.

A+,

--
	Thierry Danis