[RFC] Setting RTC alarm time

From: Chris McClellen (chris@transtech.cc)
Date: Fri Aug 11 2000 - 10:50:33 EST

Simple RFC: How does one set the RTC alarm time? I know you can
try to do it via /dev/rtc. However, on reboot, whatever was set in
the BIOS under APM type screens will blow away the RTC alarm setting.

That is, I can set an alarm via bios.

Boot up Linux, change ALM time via /dev/rtc.

Eventually boot linux again, ALM time is set to what I put in BIOS,
not what linux set via /dev/rtc.

While linux is booted, and you look at /proc/rtc, the alarm time there
reflects what I set via /dev/rtc. The overall problem is that I want
to be able to set the alarm time via linux and have it _stick_ -- so that
If I go back into the bios, under the Power MGMT functions, the RTC
alarm will be set to what I set via /dev/rtc.