Re: filesystem in a blackbox ?

From: Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Date: Thu Aug 10 2000 - 06:25:00 EST

On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, wu_yb wrote:

>Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 10:49:58 +0800
>From: wu_yb <wu_yb@sina.com>
>To: linux-kernel <linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu>
>Subject: filesystem in a blackbox ?
>
>I made a linux-router box without monitor or keyboard.
>When it running, it write logs to HD. If I turn off the box,
>the filesystem maybe be damaged and can't boot again.
>
>Any way to keep it's filesystem sync ?

Hmm. You need a way of remotely shutting down the box. Install
ssh on the machine, and block ssh access with ipchains so only a
certain machine or machines can ssh in. Log in via ssh to
shutdown.

Alternatively, you could use some jumper in the machine to detect
an externally connected switch of some kind. I can't think of an
exact example, but look on the motherboard, modem, or any other
hardware lying around for some IO port readable jumper. It could
be the CTS line on a serial port, or anything at all. Wire the
thing up to the turbo switch or something and write a short
program that monitors that switch and shuts down when it is
pressed. Have the shutdown script play some musical "beep" or
something that is unique to let you know when it is shutdown and
safe to kill power.

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

Try out Red Hat Linux today: http://www.redhat.com ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/redhat-6.2/