Re: Definitions

From: Miquel van Smoorenburg (miquels@cistron.nl)
Date: Thu Aug 10 2000 - 09:58:49 EST

According to Michael W Zappe:
> On Thu, Aug 10, 2000 at 04:08:12PM +0200, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> > Common courtesy is something that is valuable in every society.
> > Even here.
>
> I have never, ever had anyone complain before. Now it's a big
> hairy issue.

Well yes. Now you are even resending my *private email to you* to a
public mailing list! That is very very much not done.

A very good resource is RFC 1855, the netiquette standard.
http://www.rfc1855.org/

"- If you are forwarding or re-posting a message you've received, do
   not change the wording. If the message was a personal message to
   you and you are re-posting to a group, you should ask permission
   first. You may shorten the message and quote only relevant parts,
   but be sure you give proper attribution."

"- Limit line length to fewer than 65 characters and end a line
   with a carriage return."

In fact, someone else has already posted a complete gzipped copy
of rfc1855.org to this list. Which in itself probably goes against
RFC1855, just like this part of this thread itself, actually.
Which is why I responded to you in private email.

Mike.