Re: An *urgent* call for some friendly GPL pursuasion

From: Daniel Phillips (phillips@innominate.de)
Date: Thu Aug 10 2000 - 04:50:36 EST

> Some people at Bell Canada have been writing C/C++ and Java parsers
> (called DATRIX) that are almost ready to be used with Rigi and other

Here's some more information I extracted from the web pages, again with the
intention of painting a clearer picture of what this is and why it would be
good:

  (http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/labs/gelo/datrix/)

"In the toolset, parsers/linkers are first used to extract information about
the source code to analyze. The output of the parsers/linkers is called an ASG
(Abstract Semantic Graph) and contains basic facts and cross-references
representing the artifacts read from the source code. Analysers afterwards
process and refine this information in order to generate specific analysis
results (clone detection, architectural analysis, recursion chains, inheritance
graphs, etc.) which are usefull for our assessments. "

"Brief description of each of our tools:

     Parsers:
         dxparscpp: C++ parser which builds an ASG and outputs it in TA-like format or its graphical representation in VCG format. Note that this parser can
         also parse ANSI-C source code (but not Kernighan and Ritchie C).
         dxparsc: C parser which builds an ASG and outputs it in TA-like format or its graphical representation in VCG format. Note that this parser can parse
         ANSI-C source code and Kernighan and Ritchie C.
         dxparsjava: Java parser which builds an ASG and outputs it in TA-like format or its graphical representation in VCG format.
     Analysers:
         dxmetasg: Metric tool which takes as input an ASG and outputs routine-level, class-level or file-level metrics.
         dxmetcpp: Metric tool which takes as input a C++ (or ANSI-C) file and outputs routine-level, class-level or file-level metrics.
         dxmetc: Metric tool which takes as input a C file and outputs routine-level, struct-level or file-level metrics.
         dxmetjava: Metric tool which takes as input a Java file and outputs routine-level, class-level or file-level metrics.
     Other:
         dxprepc: C/C++ preprocessor based on the GNU preprocessor except that dxprepc outputs complete paths as file descriptors instead of relative
         paths. "

And here's Bruno Lague's email again:

   <bruno.lague@bell.ca>

--