Re: HFS-formatted CDROMs (was: Re: Linux 2.4 Status)

From: J. S. Connell (ankh@canuck.gen.nz)
Date: Thu Aug 10 2000 - 03:21:49 EST

On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, Ricky Beam wrote:

> Every CDROM drive placed in a PC supports 512 byte sectoring (usually right
> out of the factory.) The rarer find is a 2048 byte sectored drive common
> to old Sun hardware -- infact, most Sun's cannot boot from a CDROM that
> doesn't power up in 2k mode. (All of my plextor drives have a jumper for
> setting the block size.)

Uh, normally I wouldn't comment, but I believe you have this exactly
backwards. Last I checked you can't boot a Sun from a drive that's _not_
set to 512-byte sector mode, and I've never seen a non-SCSI CD-ROM drive
that had the option.

CD-ROM "normal data" sectors are 2048 bytes, not 512.

--
Jeffrey Sean Connell __ | SHOUTip Team Leader, net.com
ankh@canuck.gen.nz   \/ | PGP key: http://www.canuck.gen.nz/~ankh/pgpkey.html