Re: A new config program -- anyone interested?

From: Paul Vojta (vojta@math.berkeley.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 08 2000 - 15:38:11 EST

On Tue, 8 Aug 2000 02:02:08 +0200,
=?iso-8859-15?Q?Andr=E9_Dahlqvist?= <andre@beta.telenordia.se> wrote:

> > interactive in nature. When I compile the kernel, I typically set
> > 20-30 choices to non-default settings, and have come up with various
> > elaborate ways to keep track of those settings when I move to a new
> > kernel.
> >
> > Eventually, I decided to write my own kernel config program.
>
> What's wrong with saving your .config file and then later running
> "make oldconfig"?

Hm... Good question.

I probably did try "make oldconfig" when I first started using Linux,
but that was so long ago (1994) that I don't remember much.

    It's possible that I tried it and was tripped up and/or got annoyed
    because "make mrproper" automatically deletes .config.

    It's possible that I was uncomfortable with the fact that "make oldconfig"
    doesn't (I don't think) pick up default values from arch/$ARCH/defconfig.

Or maybe something else. I honestly don't remember.

Some differences between "make oldconfig" and qconfig:

    If you diff the qconfig.out files, you find out what questions have
    disappeared, and what questions have additional options or changed
    status (e.g., no longer experimental, different text, etc.)

    You're better able to track how your setup differs from the default.

On the other hand, if I hadn't abandoned and forgotten oldconfig, I probably
wouldn't have taken the trouble to write qconfig.

Anyway, comments still welcome.

--Paul Vojta, vojta@math.berkeley.edu