Re: Good luck when RedHat 7.0 comes out (was RE: test5 oops after kswapd)...

From: Jes Sorensen (jes@linuxcare.com)
Date: Fri Aug 04 2000 - 09:48:31 EST

>>>>> "Reed" == kernel <kernel@draper.net> writes:

Reed> On Tue, Aug 01, 2000 at 09:13:23PM +0200, Jes Sorensen wrote:
>> Just because it seems to compile the specific configuration you
>> are using does NOT mean it will compile everything else
>> correctly. Is that really so hard to understand?

Reed> Legislated safety hinders progress by those who accept and
Reed> overcome risk, and all progress originates with the actions of
Reed> unreasonable people.

And the risk and the fixes are being heavily used on 2.3.x+ which are
_development_ kerneles!

Reed> Thankfully, open source precludes subjection to autocratic
Reed> tyrants (except perhaps on IRC). Gcc 2.95.2 works fine here,
Reed> your mileage may vary.

I love that argument, oh it works for me so it must be perfect for
everybody.

I am not arguing against using modern compilers on modern kernels.

Jes