RE: FW: Crypto

From: Linda Walsh (law@sgi.com)
Date: Wed Aug 02 2000 - 20:28:38 EST

> If FreeS/WAN were to once start accepting US contributions, then making
> its code base *verifiably*, *unquestionably* free of them again -- should
> that become necessary -- would be extremely difficult. It's an all but
> irrevocable step, requiring considerable trust in a government that has
> historically been openly hostile to free crypto.

---
	Should not be necessary.  If the US government banned sales of
US books overseas, it would be unable to retroactively (as in not
constitutional) apply such a law that would require all sellers of
books that sold overseas to re-acquire said books.

If a US resident added code under the current law, then it becomes an asset of the project. If the US re-enacted controls, I sure that they would be unable to require anyone who let something out of the country to recall every bit of code. Can you imagine Microsoft trying to recall millions of copies of IE5 because it has strong crypto and the government decided to re-control such? I think the key to protecting yourself is that your code-base is outside of US territory and US control. Regardless, do what you feel necessary to make yourself feel safe.

-l