Re: lots of segmentation faults ... why ?

From: Vincent Stemen (vs@AdvancedResearch.org)
Date: Wed Aug 02 2000 - 19:49:13 EST

Andrzej Krzysztofowicz writes:
> Vincent Stemen writes
> > I found gcc-2.95.2 to generate a very
> > unstable 2.2.x kernel. All kernels but the very latest 2.4.x (2.3.??)
> > either did not compile or were not stable when compiled with the newer
> > compilers. Although, I found I could not compile a 2.4.x kernel with
> > the gcc-2.7.2.3 compiler but it would compile with egcs-1.1.2, so
> > apparently we are finally not stuck with the old compiler with the
> > newest kernels.
>
> Could you explain your problems with gcc-2.7.2.3, please ?
> Do you mean a lot of warnings from pgtable.h ? They are meaningless
> (compiler bug). However they may be removed applying the following patch:
>
> [ patch deleted ]

> It does not inflict the generated code, but removes compiler warnings.
> If you need over 4GB memory support - it is a real problem...
>
> The gcc-2.7.2.3 compiled 2.4.0test kernels I use on some machines seem to be
> quite stable.
>
> --
> Andrzej M. Krzysztofowicz ankry@mif.pg.gda.pl
> phone (48)(58) 347 14 61
> Faculty of Applied Phys. & Math., Technical University of Gdansk

You are right Andrzej.

I re-tested the compilation of kernel-2.4.0-test4 with gcc-2.7.2.3 and
this time it seems to compile just fine including all the modules. I
had actual errors a couple weeks ago that prevented it from completing
the compilation of 2.4.0-test2 with that compiler. I immediately
tried egcs-1.1.2 and it compiled. Unfortunately, I did not save a log
of the errors, so I am not sure why it failed. Maybe, if I get the
time, I will re-test with the test2 kernel and see if it fails again,
but if I do not need to backtrack from the test4 kernel for any reason
I probably will not bother with it.

Thanks for the patch anyway :-).
Vincent