DMA failures with UIDE driver (2.4.0 & 2.2.x + hedrick eide)

From: Patrick Michael Kane (modus@pr.es.to)
Date: Wed Aug 02 2000 - 17:01:00 EST

Hello!

I have a dual processor ppro server (Intel Providence motherboard) that is
experience IDE DMA failures when DMA is activated on drives attached to the
onboard controllers or to a Promise ULTRA/66 controller.

I've tried it with a variety of drives, including the Maxtor 96147U8. The
drive and controller are detected as being DMA capable at bootup:

ide1: BM-DMA at 0xffa8-0xffaf, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:DMA

When I enable DMA on the drives (/sbin/hdparm -d 1 /dev/hdc), and run hdparm
-t against the drive, I get the following errors:

ide_dmaproc: chipset supported ide_dma_timeout func only: 14
hdc: irq timeout: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
hdc: timeout waiting for DMA

hdparm -t will eventually complete its benchmark, but with a huge
performance penalty (500-600KB/sec transfer rate).

Using -X32/33/34 to tweak the DMA mode does not have any effect on the
problem.

I am currently running 2.4.0-test5, but have experienced the identical
problem with 2.2.x+hedrick uide patch. I've enabled the following in my
kernel config:

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PIIX=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PDC202XX=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RZ1000=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI=y
CONFIG_IDEPCI_SHARE_IRQ=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CMD640=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_MODES=y

While the Intel documentation and the BIOS config screens indicate that this
motherboard is perfectly capable of doing standard IDE DMA, I tried an
Promise ULTRA/66 controller for kicks, with exactly the same results.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this odd problem?

Best,

--
Patrick Michael Kane
<modus@pr.es.to>