Re: FW: Crypto

From: Michael H. Warfield (mhw@wittsend.com)
Date: Wed Aug 02 2000 - 16:41:14 EST

On Wed, Aug 02, 2000 at 04:19:38PM -0500, Myrddin Emrys wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Aug 2000 21:15:13 +0100 (BST) you sent this message:

> >> Note that the crypto patches are now actually available on
> >> kernel.org. This is a preliminary step before actually integrating
> >> them.

> >FreeSWAN is complicated by the fact they want no US resident contributing.
> >That makes life kind of tricky

> Will this kind of restriction go away after the RSA patent expires?

        No that has nothing to do with it.

        It USE to be it was the "taint" of US code on Canadian code. Much
of FreeSWAN is developed in Canada. As long as there is no US code involved
Canadian law holds and it can be exported. If the code contains any US
code, US law holds (under a US / Canadian Treaty) and the code can NOT be
exported from Canada.

        Now that the laws have changed, their arguments have had to change
as well. Now they won't accept US code because of the possibility that
the regs may change again and go back to the bad old days.

        Now, why they don't do that to everyone and say "we can't accept
your code because, someday, your government might have a fit of stupidity
and declare our code covered by their restrictions" is beyond me.

        Maybe in a year or two after we have REALLY AND TRUELY buried
these assinine regulations and driven a stake through their hearts
(liberalization of the export regulations to EU countries was the
next step toward that goal) maybe the FreeSWAN dudes will LIGHTEN UP.
ITMT... No US code in FreeSWAN.

> Myrddin

        Mike

--