RE: [OFFTOPIC]Re: FW: Crypto: [PsuedoOfftopic]: Crypto Offload

From: Strahm, Bill (bill.strahm@intel.com)
Date: Wed Aug 02 2000 - 15:59:24 EST

Many companies (including my own) are now producing crypto offload
processors. What would be nice would be an API of sorts between the kernel
proper and various Device Drivers that would implement the hardware
acceleration.

For example:
I have a NIC that if I pass it a certain offload structure Out Of Band -
will apply a crypto operation at line speed on the way out of the
interface... It would be nice if there was a way for kernel components (and
I guess I am placing FreeSWAN into this category, even though it is really a
kernel patch) to access this functionality so that all of the driver writers
could add the specific functionality that is needed.

I am just now beginning to research this topic and was wondering what (if
any) deep thinking this group had done on the topic of crypto hardware
acceleration.

Bill Strahm

Bill Strahm Programming today is a race between
bill.strahm@ software engineers striving to build
intel.com bigger and better idiot-proof programs,
(503) 264-4632 and the Universe trying to produce
                  bigger and better idiots. So far, the
                  Universe is winning.--Rich Cook
I am not speaking for Intel. And Intel rarely speaks for me