Re: FW: Crypto

From: H. Peter Anvin (hpa@zytor.com)
Date: Wed Aug 02 2000 - 14:50:15 EST

Followup to: <398871D2.C2587F8D@storm.ca>
By author: Sandy Harris <sandy@storm.ca>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> As I recall, someone from kernel.org said a few months back that
> their lawyers were looking at this. Anyone know the results?

Indeed we do :) The current policy on kernel.org now is that
cryptographic software is OK as long as it's Open Source and the
source is available on kernel.org itself.

The "no government end user" restriction -- which we were originally
very concerned about -- turns out not to apply for Open Source
software. Also, the BXA seems to have recently expressed "intent to
clarify"[1] that the Open Source exception applies as well to "object
code compiled from source code that is considered publically
available".

        -hpa

[1] http://www.bxa.doc.gov/Encryption/July2KProposedRegSum.html

http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt