Re: 2.4.0-pre5 Replacement for make modules_install

From: Andrew Morton (andrewm@uow.edu.au)
Date: Wed Aug 02 2000 - 09:15:01 EST

David Hinds wrote:

> Is it legal to have something like this:
>
> probe 3c575_cb 3c575_cb 3c59x
>
> or would modprobe try to recursively expand the 3c575_cb?

That works nicely.

        alias eth1 foo
        probe foo bar 3c59x (or `probe foo 3c59x bar')

# modprobe foo (or eth1)
# lsmod
Module Size Used by
3c59x 19064 0 (unused)

I'll play with this further in a week or two. Would the PCMCIA-HOWTO be an
appropriate place to document this trick?

A question for Keith:

If we have:

        probe 3c575_cb 3c575_cb 3c59x

How does the `options' statement bind? Will

        options 3c575_cb debug=3

work correctly regardless of which driver is loaded, or do we need

        options 3c575_cb debug=3
        options 3c59x debug=3