Re: [patch?] Re: Do ramdisk exec's map direct to buffer cache?

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Tue Aug 01 2000 - 18:16:23 EST

On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

> > And in the end, reality always tends to hit theory hard in the face when
> > you least expect it. That's why I'm not holding my breath for some magical
> > VM rewrite that will fix all performance problems. No matter _how_ much
> > people talk about it..
>
> Thats why the fact these folks are understanding why the FreeBSD
> VM works (something not all the freebsd folks seemed to know)
> and are working from a known good VM implementation is
> promising.

Yup, we know why FreeBSD VM works and what its weak points
could be. We've also had some help from SGI and Sequent/IBM
people as to what the scalability problems of our new VM
design could be.

The new VM will be heavily based on FreeBSD VM, which we
know works, with some small tweaks where we've tried to
come up with scenarios where they'd break (and we failed,
so we'll try those tweaks).

regards,

Rik

--
"What you're running that piece of shit Gnome?!?!"
       -- Miguel de Icaza, UKUUG 2000

http://www.conectiva.com/ http://www.surriel.com/