Re: test6/pre1 hangs on boot

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Tue Aug 01 2000 - 12:43:02 EST

In article <3986769C.47A7E2ED@isn.net>, Garst R. Reese <reese@isn.net> wrote:
>Andre Hedrick wrote:
>>
>> You doing modules with an initrd or something?
>vfat is module. No initrd. ext2 is obviously not a module.

There's a bug in kmod.c in test6-pre1 that I didn't notice because I
don't have it compiled in by default (now fixed - kmod is needed for
hotplug anyway).

The fix is along the lines of changing

        free_uid(current);

        free_uid(current->user);
        current->user = INIT_USER;
        atomic_inc(&current->user->__count);

to match the new semantics of "struct user_struct".

(The new "struct user_struct" allows for proper tracking of per-user
resources, not just how many processes a user has, and that requried
some changes in how it works).

                Linus