Re: Ethernet driver for NatSemi dp83815

From: Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
Date: Tue Aug 01 2000 - 10:27:46 EST

On Tue, 1 Aug 2000, Ian S. Nelson wrote:

> I don't know who exactly TeamF1 is but my NSC sales rep says that when they
> produced the MacPhyter chipset (the 83815) they hired some guys out of Seattle to
> cons up an ethernet driver because a number of people building web pads and other
> embedded products with Linux wanted one. As far as I can tell NSC isn't working
> with TeamF1 anymore, it was a quick fix to make a sale or two and when I last
> asked they were trying to put together a Linux support team so they could support
> the driver in-house. I don't think they are terribly motivated to act on it,
> it's sales people who keep giving me that line.

How times have changed. In May '99 the NatSemi people wouldn't give me the
time of day. They had no interest in a unknown OS like Linux. They
preferred to support important OSes with long-term prospects such as SCO and
LynxOS.

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Scyld Computing Corporation http://www.scyld.com
410 Severn Ave. Suite 210 Beowulf Clusters / Linux Installations
Annapolis MD 21403