Re: sysconf (was Re: RLIM_INFINITY inconsistency between archs)

From: David Woodhouse (dwmw2@infradead.org)
Date: Tue Aug 01 2000 - 09:03:21 EST

hpa@zytor.com said:
> I don't think we want to do this! IMO, HZ should not get exported to
> user space *AT ALL*. Instead, for the few interfaces that need it,
> we'll export a "user space HZ" (USER_HZ) which is fixed. No need for
> a kernel hack. When we support nonstandard values for HZ, we need to
> fix the few interfaces that actually export jiffies values to convert
> from "user jiffies" to real jiffies.

No. Why do the arithmetic in the kernel when we could just export the raw
data, with full accuracy, and let user-space sort it out?

User-space may want to know the value of HZ for other reasons anyway.

    if (HZ < 1000) {
        perror("You must hack your kernel to improve scheduling latency");
        exit(1);
    }

--
dwmw2