Re: 2GIG-file

From: Mike Black (mblack@csihq.com)
Date: Tue Aug 01 2000 - 05:58:11 EST

I investigated trying the LFS patches on 2.2.16 but am leery about doing it:

>From http://www.scyld.com/software/lfs-5.html#glibc-mmap
Quote:
These LFS modifications are specific to the Linux 2.2.x kernels. The current
development kernels (2.3.42 when this was written) contain a subset of the
LFS functionality provided here and somewhat different interfaces for that
functionality. Also, continuing development on the 2.3.x kernel tree will
likely cause collisions with the syscall numbers selected for these
modifications. The result of all this is that the provided glibc will not
function correctly for applications using 64 bit intefaces on the 2.3.x
kernels or the 2.4.x kernels when they come out.
End Quote

Do I see a future chicken-and-egg problem here? If I do LFS now am I going
to get screwed when 2.4 comes out?
I need large file support fairly soon...