Re: 2.4.0-pre5 Replacement for make modules_install

From: David Hinds (dhinds@valinux.com)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2000 - 19:18:09 EST

On Tue, Aug 01, 2000 at 07:42:59AM +1000, Andrew Morton wrote:

> The problem is that the new 3c59x.o supports both Cardbus and PCI/EISA
> NICs. It is possibly unique in this respect.

It is not, or at least not likely to be for long. The tulip driver
also supports CardBus.

> The PCMCIA package specifically looks in
> /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/pcmcia and by default
> it uses insmod, not modprobe.

cardmgr has defaulted to using modprobe since version 3.1.15.

> This is still pretty ugly and I'd be interested in
> any suggestions for improvement.

I don't see any completely satisfactory solution that doesn't use some
sort of alias mechanism, either in modules.conf or in the PCMCIA
config files.

-- Dave