gettimeofday() non-monotonic on SMP kernel version 2.2.10

From: Sam Thompson (samuelt@caltech.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2000 - 16:48:48 EST

Hi,

I work for a neuroscience lab at Caltech
(http://broccoli.caltech.edu/~pinelab/PotterGroup.htm), and we are trying
to gather data using a quad-processor SGI Visual Workstation 540. However,
we are having trouble that we have diagnosed as a timing issue.
gettimeofday() is non-monotonic, which is causing problems with some of
the software we use, problems we can't really work around. We are using
the 2.2.10 kernel, and we really have no choice as all of the hacks to
make linux run on the Visual Workstation 540 are only available in a patch
for kernel version 2.2.10 and none of us are very skilled kernel hackers.

Can anyone point me to a patchfor 2.2.10 or a way to quickly modify the
2.2.10 code to fix this problem. Something somewhat odd is that the
gettimeofday() seems to pretty consistently jump back about 3-4 seconds.
It's also only present when running Xwindows and is highly correlated
with changes in window focus.

Any input or help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time, Sam Thompson