Re: 2GIG-file

From: Jeff V. Merkey (jmerkey@timpanogas.com)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2000 - 15:07:38 EST

"Jeff V. Merkey" wrote:

> dave-mlist@bfnet.com wrote:
> >
> > marek> 1) The file isn't fragmented on the the NTFS.
> > marek> 2) I really need to find a solution to this DB ported to Linux
> > marek> today.
> >
> > Some options:
> >
> > 1. MySQL database, create table TYPE=RAID
> > (don't go creating bix indexes, because while the data file is
> > split the index files are not)
> > 2. Alpha CPU
> > (hooray for 64 bits! gosh where did my budget go?)
> > 3. 2.4 kernel
> > (have we broken MS's vaporware record yet?)
> > 4. ReiserFS
> > (but then we're all test-pilots of a sense)
> > 5. 2.2.x kernel with the LFS patch
> > (probably your easiest and safest option)
> >

> #5 sounds like the correct answer. If it takes two or three days to
> copy your monster file from NTFS or something, email davidg@balder.com
> to get the NT tools to defrag the file before you copy it.

One thing to be aware of on 2.2.X is that the off_t parameter passed to
the underlying file systems in the VFS is an 'signed long' so that even
with this patch, if you attempt to copy the file onto some of the
filesystems in linux, they will still enforce this 2GB limit (since
read() and write() in the VFS have it defined this way -- may be
implementation specific only to certain file system drivers on Linux.)

:-)

Jeff