Re: sysconf (was Re: RLIM_INFINITY inconsistency between archs)

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2000 - 13:06:12 EST

> Also because Linus' way happens to be the right way.

Probably not entirely. The balance IMHO is in the middle somewhere

> I don't know why you won't accept that; it certainly seems extremely
> obvious to most people who seem to know what they're doing.

No

Some of these things like maximum groups are used by applications and you do
want to be able to pull it out of the kernel. Others like number of cpus
being done by parsing /proc/cpuinfo seem fine to me. Its not a common or
critical path and if it ever becomes an issue it can be fixed later

HZ is complicated. Its used by some apps to guess what sort of delay pattern
to use - notably games/multimedia but since HZ is a constant and the whole
regular timer tick model is broken for a large scalable system (post 2.4 issue!)
its not worth fixing

Alan