Re: RLIM_INFINITY inconsistency between archs

From: Kai Henningsen (kaih@khms.westfalen.de)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2000 - 09:57:00 EST

pollard@tomcat.admin.navo.hpc.mil (Jesse Pollard) wrote on 27.07.00 in <200007271531.KAA89926@tomcat.admin.navo.hpc.mil>:

> Might I suggest creating a "/lib/include" that works something like
> the /lib/modules where the kernel name is used to generate the directory
> for the kernel include files?
>
> That way the "uname -r" command could be used to set a symbolic link
> to point to the correct include files at boot time (or install time).

Correct for what?

I think this is silly.

There are two versions of header files people tend to be interested in:

a. The ones corresponding to the libc version their linker will link
against. This will be good for 99% of the situations.

b. A special version for some kernel-version-dependant executable. Exact
version depends on what they plan to do with that executable - could be
most advanced kernel version available, least advanced version available,
a specific version whose significance depends on the configuration of a
different machine, whatever.

There is no reason to assume that the currently running kernel version is
any more relevant than any of the other arguments for b.

> This way the kernel that is active would be selecting the correct includes.

Correct for what?

MfG Kai