Re: console over network

From: Walter Zimmer (walter.zimmer@esk.fhg.de)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2000 - 11:12:13 EST

Hi!

Art Boulatov schrieb:
> Well, I should have said that I have 70 workstations booting
> over DHCP/NFS(kernel) and then mounting local HD, in case everything
> is okay, or mounting root over NFS in case of local HD "failure"(various
> reasons),
> fixing the problem/reinstalling and then remounting local HD again.
>
> Then xdm pops up and users login over NIS+/NFS(homedirs).
>
> That's why I cannot connect to serial ports (too many) :))
Try getting some old terminal servers. At our university we used the
ones
that were thrown out to make the serial lines accessible via telnet.
Those servers were configurable that each serial line is reachable
via a different port. Combined with a "console" script which
automatically
chooses the right terminal server and port nr. this was a pretty
comfortable
way to monitor everything you dream of.

Cheers,
Walter