Re: (reiserfs) Re: sync: why disk cannot spin down

From: Xuan Baldauf (xuan--reiserfs@baldauf.org)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2000 - 10:07:49 EST

Matthias Andree wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Jul 2000, Xuan Baldauf wrote:
> > Matthias Andree wrote:
> > You tell me the kernel starts missing drive ACKs even if there are no read
> > or write requests pending? Even then, the drive was never in sleep mode
> > (requires reset), it always was in standby mode (does not require reset). My
> > primary intent is to reduce the noise of the drive, not the power
> > consumption.
>
> Of course, if the kernel is not writing, it's not missing "operation
> complete" transactions.
>
> My point is: putting a drive to sleep rather than to standby will not
> help much, it will only delay the spin-up and possibly leave you with a
> slower drive.

But I never wanted it to be in sleep (rather than standby) mode, my original
intent was to bring the system to a state where spin ups are only done when
necessary. Someone said something about noflushd, but I could not find any links
or rpm packages, does anybody have...?

Maybe the off-topic discussion is going to be off-topic of the off-topic... ;o)

Xuân. :o)