(offtopic: languages) Re: Stopping buffer-overflow security exploits using page protection

From: Bill Huey (billh@cx739861-a.dt1.sdca.home.com)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2000 - 09:50:44 EST

On Mon, Jul 31, 2000 at 02:25:12PM +0000, jmcmullan@linuxcare.com wrote:

> <obPlug>
> Objective-C - now that's a cool language. Took me 4 hours

s/cool/amazing.

> to learn, and the `% of code that worked as I expected the
> first time it compiled' index - one of my favorite measues -
> is somewhere around 95% for me. Whereas C is around 80%, and
> C++ is about 50% or less.
>
> Objective-C is _much_ less ``surprising'' to the new programmer
> than C++, and the ``pace of development'' is far faster, but the runtime
> is slightly slower due to the use of dynamic messaging..

It's a very complete language that makes stuff like CORBA useless with
network based message resolution, etc...

Java is based largely on this language as evidenced by the use of interfaces
and event delegates (for GUIs) with many group with competing GUI/Object
technologically still in it's wake. Look at the old OpenStep. ;-)

> (Think C + Smalltalk = Objective C)
> </obPlug>

> Jason McMullan, Senior Linux Consultant, Linuxcare, Inc.

bill