Re: X server problem since 2.4.0-test5-pre1/2 / Fixed!!!

From: Mark Gray (markgray@iago.nac.net)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2000 - 08:46:13 EST

James Simmons <jsimmons@acsu.buffalo.edu> writes:
[snip]
> Okay. This problem is a bug in the X server. I don't have a fix for it.
> I attempted to find a fix but with the mess they call code it would take
> me months just to figure out how things work. They really need to clean
> that code up. The XFree86 team will have to figure it out.

A bit off topic but -- is it not quite a remarkable mess -- not only
are they guilty of some of the worst crimes ever perpetrated using
macros, their include file structure is so messed up that they not
only have:

markgray@soyo /usr/src/packages/BUILD/xc > find -name '*.h' -follow|\
           sed 's#.*/##' |sort|uniq -D|uniq -c|wc

55! include files with the same names, they also accidently will
include files from whichever version of X you happen to have installed
at the time in a few places. Quite a shock the first time you delve
into it. What I did when I was writing my own X server was extract
all the files I needed from their tree and put them into my own
sensible directory structure, removed all their macros, fixed their
include file structure, prototyped everything and rewrote it so it
would compile without warnings using -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes --
(took me four months, by which time they had released three newer
versions :-)