Fwd: Re: Re: Question: Linux tuning parameters

From: Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk (rkarlsba@myrealbox.com)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2000 - 03:10:49 EST

---
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk
Senior systems consultant on Novell, {Li|U}nix, Firewalling
and Microsoft

Work e-mail: <roy.karlsbakk@a-team.no> Private e-mail: <roy@karlsbakk.net> Homepage: http://karlsbakk.net/

attached mail follows:

Hi

Thanks for a quick answer. My question was not how I could buy new hardware, as better hardware aren't allways the solution. The point is squeezing the power out of it. We've all seen before with benchmarks and the likes. After modifying some kernel parameters (/proc...), the system speeds up. Where's the human readable information about these parameters? Example: /proc/sys/net/core/netdev_max_backlog

This holds an initial value of 300. My NetWare experience tells me this could be something like NetWare's "Maximum packet receive buffers", the number of buffers allocated to buffer incoming packets from the network if the CPU load (or I/O) is too high. 1: Is this correct? 2: Where's the information telling me or others this? I know it's in the kernel code, but I can't understand that.

I hope this refined the question a little

Regards

> roy@karlsbakk.net (Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk) writes: > > > I've been looking around the net for linux tuning parameters, and the > > only info I find is the general 'locate-the-bottleneck' stuff. > > I don't know what exactly your problem is but if you have to have > really (much) better performance 'locate-the-bottleneck' and using > faster, more or better supported hardware (network, HDD, CPU, > graphics) is probably necessary. > > > > I have > > tried reading some kernel source and documentation for more data about > > the /proc/sys/ hierarchy, but it's not really easily interpreted for a > > non kernel hacker. > > > Does any of you know any good sources for low level Linux performance > > tuning? > > Some links are on http://www.kernelnotes.org/. > > > Moritz >

---