Re: multimounting cdroms ???

From: Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Date: Sun Jul 30 2000 - 20:02:51 EST

On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, Ralf Baechle wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 12:54:07AM -0500, Andrew McNabb wrote:

> > There are loads of us that have been using UNIX for years and
> > are expecting multiple mounts to fail. We expect to be able
> > to try to mount a directory and see if it fails.
>
> There is alot of undefined semantics of mounts for example I cannot remember
> that the way permissions of the directory `below' the mountpoint influence
> access to the mounted directory is documented. Can be fun on Solaris ...

Umhm... Moreover, some of us have been using UNIX for years and had been
burnt more than once by, should we say it, differences in mount behaviour/
system policies/cleanup scripts/etc. and had learned _hard_ way that blind
attempt to mount foo at bar is often a short way to long weekend with
tapes.

Oh, well, blind overmount goes out. Without an explicit option mounting
over existing mountpoint should fail.