Re: HZ needed in userspace, was Re: sysconf (was Re: RLIM_INFINITY inconsistency between archs)

From: bert hubert (ahu@ds9a.nl)
Date: Sun Jul 30 2000 - 16:16:20 EST

On Sun, Jul 30, 2000 at 01:44:10PM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> It doesn't have to be, although that would be nice, and it really
> should be a hanging offence to create new interfaces which export HZ
> to user space. The point is that when we change HZ in kernel space,
> we will still export HZ == 100 to user space (i386), and we'll have to
> do the conversion in kernel space.

Fine. I think that for clarity's sake we should then drop the name 'HZ' when
we mean 'userspace faked HZ' - to prevent confusion. We should not have
several kinds of jiffies floating around.

Manpages and Documentation can just mention that everything is configured in
units of 10ms.

Regards,

bert hubert