Re: zImage support in test3

From: H. Peter Anvin (hpa@zytor.com)
Date: Sun Jul 30 2000 - 15:04:28 EST

Followup to: <E13IyfR-0001lL-00@the-village.bc.nu>
By author: Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> > > zImage wont go away.
> >
> > :)))))))))))))) thanks.
> >
> > Is the 0x90000 offset going back in or was it deliberately taken out for
> > the 2.4test releases just to make more people test bzImage?
>
> I think someone was just being careless.
>
> Alan

No, it was quite intentional. It's replaced by the segment pointed at
when running the kernel. This is to keep things from crashing with a
huge EBDA. THIS IS A VERY NECESSARY CHANGE.

The only way it should affect zImage is if you're loading your zImage
start address at something other than 0x90000, in which case you have
a smaller space anyway.

Saying "zImage won't go away" may be true (although I definitely wish
it wasn't so), but boot loaders probably will start to drop zImage
support, because of the hideous pain it takes to support them cleanly
in a way that makes sense at all. SYSLINUX simply load them high and
copy them down before starting the kernel -- anything else is too
painful.

        -hpa

http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt