Re: console over network

From: Erik Mouw (J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl)
Date: Sun Jul 30 2000 - 09:55:28 EST

On Sun, 30 Jul 2000 06:54:24 +0400, Art Boulatov wrote:
> I have a question,
> is there any way to make all kernel messages go not to a serial console
> or virtual terminal but over the network.
> Like a pass some console= parameter to kernel at boot time and all
> messages
> go over tcp/udp to a central syslog daemon running on a server.

Add this line to /etc/syslog.conf:

*.debug @full.name.off.loghost

The syslog daemon at the loghost has to be run with the "-r" option.

> I mean I want to capture all messages that come before
>
> execve("/sbin/init",argv_init,envp_init);
>
> over the network.

Tricky. Use the serial console, connect it to another linux machine and
route it to wherever you want.

Erik

--
A towel has immense psychological value.
 -- Douglas Adams, The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy